Sunday 25 September 2016

paint, paint, and more paint!

Written on a sunny Sunday, for a change.

Greetings people, well after last nights rain I half expected to wake up to the flood of Noah. I was woken in the early hours by the rain hammering on the roof, but on waking this morning the world is sunny and relatively dry tho a little breezy.
I've been continuing the painting over the last couple of weeks, in fact I've almost finished the superstructure which is just as well as I think we've had the best of the weather. The evenings are certainly cooler now and it wont be long before the fire will be needed.
Rubbing down the tiller arm and the  uprights under the wooden stern rail wasn't a hard job as I did most of it from a sitting down position and the end result looks good.



Tiller and uprights looks nice in their new paint. I'm intending to rub down the wooden rails back to clean wood and then clear varnish them.
 The wooden seating rails round the stern were previously stained dark brown but I'm hoping to be able to sand them back to clean wood and then clear varnish them. It depends how well the sanding goes whether I manage to get rid of the dark staining.
You may remember the front and rear doors were also stained dark brown, well I decided to 'lighten' things up a bit and painted the front doors what was supposed to be a 'cream' colour.


I wasn't happy with 'cream' so I tried yellow.


Meanwhile, whilst I'm busy painting, the wildlife are busy doing what they do best - eating or rummaging around for grubs.






I wasn't totally happy with having yellow doors so my final attempt was red.
I'm still not 100% sure but that's it for now. Each door has had two coats of each colour making six coats in total so I think the wood is well protected if nothing else!


When it came to painting the back doors, red looked right straight away


Kym at the Little Chimney co has notified me my new chimney is ready to be collected, so thats probably tomorrows job to go and find them down the Coventry canal. Depending on the weather, I will either drive down by car, or maybe have a trundle down the canal in Bracken, we'll see.

Thats all for now people.
bfn.

No comments:

Post a Comment