Thursday 8 June 2017

Still living the dream.

June 8th.

Hello again people, long time time no hear so I thought I'd put pen to paper, or even fingers to keyboard and attempt to bring you all up to date.
As the title suggests, I am still very happily living afloat. Bracken suits me and gives me all that I require in the way of material possessions. Compact and bijou is the phrase I think. I am now into my 3rd year of being afloat, certainly I've had 2 full winters aboard and can honestly say I've not been cold or uncomfortable at all. Mind you, we've not had much of a winter for some years now, 'not like I remember as a lad' but I'm confident I could withstand the worst the weather could dish out, comfortable and warm on Bracken.
I still attend Derby hospital every 3 months for check ups on the neck and so far so good. (fingers crossed)
So, what have I been up to since I last wrote?
The Renault was due for MOT in March so I handed it over to the chap who has been looking after the vehicles, offered a prayer to the great god of MOT's and crossed my fingers all would be well.
The Renault was returned at the end of the day with a new certificate and just one advisory to change the bulbs in the rear indicators as they were discoloured. Good news eh?!
In April I popped down to Kent to visit family and friends, the trip coinciding with Easter and my birthday. (well I thought they can't very well forget it if I'm there can they)!
On the Saturday my friend John, (who I stay with) and I took his 1957 MG Magnette to a car show being held at Tenterden railway station which is a steam preservation line.
Yours truly chatting to one of the owners, Johns car is 3rd from the left.
The preservation society allowed the car park to be taken over by the MG Owners Club for the day and quite a number of Magnettes attended. The majority were restored to a very high standard though there were a couple in original condition though still roadworthy. When you consider all the vehicles were in excess of 50 years old they are a credit to the designer, manufacturer and owners. 'They don't make 'em like that nowadays' is such an understatement.
Built by BMC (British Motor Corporation), which became British Leyland, which became Austin Rover, which became Rover, which became bankrupt allegedly due to mismanagement, the cars are good examples of  Britains' Heritage.

Yes that is snow on the roof of the Renault!
Taken at the end of April.

...and a few days later, bootiful weather and double figure temperatures.

I occasionally run the engine on Bracken up to temperature even if I'm not intending to go anywhere. It puts some charge in the batteries and reassures me I have a good engine!
Well I came to start the engine which as always started readily (smug grin there) unfortunately the red light on the panel stayed on, and the voltmeter remained reading barely more than 12 volts. On putting the multimeter on the output terminals I found the alternator was not putting out a charge so it was off with the alternator and a short drive over to CJS at hednesford to get the alternator checked out.
After a chat with them I came away with an upgraded unit which was capable of putting out 130 amps instead of the nominal 70 amps the old one generated. 
A good idea in theory but this would come back and bite me later on.
In the marina I am connected to shore power so the batteries are topped up regularly by mains charger but of course if I go cruising I rely on the alternator to keep the batteries charged, especially as i have an inverter to power the fridge/freezer. 

Nice new alternator.


My next door neighbour Anne with the 2 golden retrievers, plus husband Ray and myself, decided we would take both boats up the canal for a few days ending up at Tixall before returning to the Marina. Altogether lasting about 7 days we thought it might be a bit of an adventure,with Ray doing the locks and Anne and I driving the boats..
We set off in convoy up the canal, past the Handsacre turning point which meant we were then committed to going at least as far as Rugely where the next turning point would be. 

Through Armitage tunnel.

..and Armitage narrows which used to be part of the tunnel till they took the top off due to constant subsidence.


Photo doesn't do this Hawthorn bush justice, it was a glorious crimson.



We moored for the first night in a quiet spot between Wolsey bridge and Colwich lock, open fields,looking across towards Cannock Chase.
I say a quiet spot, although the geese in the next field seemed to have plenty to say for themselves!
The following morning we continued on to Colwich through the lock to Great Haywood lock and  the Junction with the Staffs and Worcester canal.
We had decided to continue up the Trent and Mersey past Great Haywood Marina and through the next lock, Hoo Mill Lock and moor for a couple of days at a nice quiet spot Anne had found on a previous trip, at Ingestre.
See the mini shed with the roof, inside there are stop planks used when they have to stop the flow of water into the lock. I'll talk more about them later.

On the approach to Great Haywood lock.

Just passing Great Haywood Marina

Moored at Ingestre, lovely quiet spot.

What a glum looking trio, actually we'd just been laughing at my attempts to set the timer on the camera and get back to my seat before the shutter clicked!

View behind me.

View from my bedroom window, takes some beating doesn't it.

Wherever you go, they find you.

These youngsters couldn't eat the usual duck and swan food, they didn't know what to do with it.
Much more to come.......


No comments:

Post a Comment